The Long Eaton & Sawley Archive  
Home > Welcome > Old Place Names

Place name Description
The Almshouses There were six almshouses situated at the top end of the High Street between Cross Street and where the Post Office once stood. They were built/rebuilt by public subscription in 1856 at a cost of £190.
The Blacksmith's Shop This was situated on the West side of the Market Place, where the Oddfellows Hall and a row of shops once stood.
The Public Baths Erected on the Grange Park Estate in 1935, these open-air swimming baths were an asset to the town. Constructed to the plans of Mr. Harry Raven, the council's engineer and surveyor, the baths were over 150 feet long and 50 feet wide, with a depth of 3 feet of water at the shallow end, and 8 feet 6 inches at the deep end, suitable for diving. Stone slabs provided a paved area around the pool. Diving and springboards were fixed at the deep end, and at the South end of the pool was a café, with shelters on each side.
The Brickfields A field off Manchester Street, where at one time bricks were made.
Barn Chapel This building stood on the West side of Main Street near Chapel Street. The barn belonged to Mr. Maltby. The New Methodists took part of it and adapted it for use as a chapel and school in 1859. They later acquired the whole of the building and installed pews, seats, and pulpit etc. They continued to use the barn until November 1874, until their new church was built at The Green. Later it was used as a Temperance Hall and later still houses occupied the site.
The Black Path This private footpath belonging to The Midland Railway Company led from Bezzel Lane, Stapleford on the East side of Toton Sidings and joined the public footpath across the fields from Stapleford to Long Eaton. The Black Path was closed when the sidings were extended in 1949.
The Brown Brook Also known as Golden Brook, it rises North of Risley beyond Risley Lodge. Its original route was through Breaston, across Derby Road in Long Eaton and turning South it crossed Sawley Road, Breaston, also Wilsthorpe Road through West Park, under the Erewash Canal and Tamworth Road. Originally the brook joined Tamworth Road about 50 yards nearer to the Market Place, then flowed along the North side where the library frontage now is. In 1904 its course was altered again by being made straight from the canal to Tamworth Road, the sides and the bottom being built in concrete. From there it passes along where Claye's Works once stood, under the railway, across Meadow Lane and under the High Level railway bridge. Up to 1890 the only means of crossing the brook between Tamworth Road and Oakley Road was by means of narrow wooden footbridges.
Cavendish Bridge This bridge spanned the River Trent at Shardlow, and was erected by the Cavendish family as a toll bridge in about 1770. Before this bridge was a ferry called Wilden Ferry. The bridge had three arches and was built of Freestone. Unfortunately it was destroyed by the great flood of 1948. It was quickly replaced by a temporary Bailey bridge.
Church Hill Nook Also known as Churchy Nook. This footpath was by the side of the churchyard leading to Waverley Street.
The Clapper Gates These gates stood at each end of the bridle road across the Hollows, which was the last field through which Station Road passed to join Nottingham Road.
Claye's Row A row of 16 cottages off New Tythe Street, facing the railway line. Later named New Eaton Cottages.
Cockayne's Bridge The bridge over the Derby Canal on Longmoor Lane. A personal name after a nearby farmer.
Coffee Pot Hall This farm house was owned by John Smith, and it stood on the South side of Nottingham Road near to Conway Street. It was demolished about 1910.
Cranfleet Canal The canal near to Trent Lock, which was cut to bypass the Trent weir.
Cranfleet Farm A farm near to the Cranfleet Canal at Trent Lock. In the Parish Award it is called Cramfleet.
Dockholme Lock This is the third lock from the Trent on the Erewash Canal. Situated on the North side of the town towards Sandiacre.
The Flatts A field name on the site of which is now Chesterfield Avenue and parts of the High Level railway.
Fletcher's Pond A personal name for the ballast hole which was situated West of the main Derby to London railway line, near to Trent Lock.
The Flood Wall This blue-brick wall is built on the side of the canal towpath from Long Eaton lock. This was to prevent flooding from the canal.
Forbes Hole This ballast hole just off Fields Farm Road is now a nature reserve.
Forty Row The name for the row of houses which once stood in Midland Terrace, situated off Midland Street.
The Gorse Holmes Also known as The Goddams. This was the field on which the public library and the old Grammar School now stands.
Grange Farm This farm stood on the site now occupied by Grange School. It was owned by John Hallam.
The Green The hub of Long Eaton road traffic is this piece of ground at the angle of Derby, Nottingham and Market Place roads. In 1888 a three armed finger post was placed at The Green directing to Derby, Nottingham and Sawley. In 1890 a public convenience was erected. It immediately acquired the nickname St Pauls. In 1892 The Green was fenced around with iron posts with spiked chains. This was called The Cattle Market. Later, a newer public convenience known as Haddon Hall replaced St Pauls. Trees were planted and remaining open spaces laid out with grass.
The Hall In the Parish Award of 1765, John Howitt owned about 120 acres of land in Long Eaton. The Hall was built in 1778 by Henry Howitt. In its design and layout it has many characteristics of a farm house. Built of the narrow type of bricks common to the period. Very few examples of this type of brickwork remain in Long Eaton. The Hall was at one time the residence of a past vicar of Long Eaton, Rev. Frederick Atkinson. The estate eventually passed into the hands of Mr J. E. Fletcher, of Moorlands, Long Eaton. Later, the Long Eaton Council acquired it in 1921 for the sum of £14,000. It is now used as part of Erewash Borough Council Offices.
Hangman's Bridge The bridge that once stood over the brook on Thrumpton Lane just before the Meadow Lane crossing.
Harrington Bridge It spans the River Trent at Sawley and was built at a cost of £20,000 between the years 1786 -90. It was again rebuilt 1905-06. Originally a turnpike bridge, the tollgates being at the Sawley end. There were two small cottages for the gatekeepers, built into the fabric of the bridge, one on each side of the road. The bridge was opened free to the public in September 1882.
Haycroft Close Also known as Haycob Close, this was the field enclosed by Oxford Street, Derby Road, and Fletcher Street.
High Street Schools These were the first schools to be built by the School Board after the passing of the Education Act of 1870. The schools were opened in 1876. Mr and Mrs. Chambers being the first headmaster and headmistress. They were situated between the Zion Church and the Co-operative Emporium. Later, both the schools and the site on which they stood were purchased by the Co-operative Society.
The Hollows This was the last field through which Station Road passed and went on to join Nottingham Road.
Huss's Lane Named after John Huss, who was one of the owners at the time of the Parish Award.
King's Ground A field which now forms part of West Park.
Long Eaton Station The first Long Eaton railway station was on the Midland Counties railway which ran from Derby to Nottingham at what is now know as the Meadow Lane crossing. It was opened on May 30th 1839. Originally, there were five passenger trains which ran each way daily between Nottingham and Derby.
Lover's Walk The footpath which originally led from the church in the Market Place by way of Regent Street, across Oxford Street to the Scala Theatre, it then crossed Derby Road and continued to where the entrance to the Council store yard once was, on Cranmer Street. It then carried on across the fields to Dockholme Lock. Much controversy surrounded this footpath in 1880, when Mr Fullalove and Mr Gaskill built some property which encroached onto this footpath. The council gave notice to pull down the walls in the dispute. They were met by a band of toughs and retired without demolishing the wall. Eventually, terms were agreed.
The Manor House This building stood on the South side of Main Street. It was built by Madam Trowell, who lived at Castle Donington Hall, and owned land on the South side of the town. Madam Trowell was a friend of Wesley and Whitfield, and was a great supporter of their work. They persuaded her to open her house for a meeting in 1776. By 1796 the attendance at the meetings became so large that eventually they had to build a chapel in Chapel Street. Clayes Wagon Works fitting shops later replaced where the Manor House once stood, close to where the Tappers Harker public house now stands.
The Market Place In April 1880, the Local Board decided that a market be established and held every week throughout the year. March 1881 saw bye laws passed to accept market tolls. Naturally, this large open space at the centre of the town became the Market Place. Eventually, with increased road transport together with increasing population the Market Place became a real danger spot, and plans were prepared for its removal to a more convenient site.
The Market Pump This was an old landmark near to the centre of the Market Place. In 1877 the Gas Company obtained permission to sink a well and provide a pump n the Market Place. The design and character of the pump they provided did not find favour with the townspeople, and the Gas Company were asked to provide a more substantial and ornamental pump. In early 1880 a new pump costing £14. 8s was provided. The pump was removed in 1892 when piped water was laid on.
Moore's Yard This was a row of cottages at the back of the Oddfellows Hall, Market Place.
The National School First opened in 1862, it was built on land given by Mr S. J. Claye. It was enlarged in 1880, and again in later years. This school replaced the old village school which stood in the Market Place in front of the Top Chapel. This old school was demolished and the Highways Committee gave £3 for the site, which was added to the highway funds.
Nottingham Road Bridge Due to the increase in road traffic by the 1930s, the level crossing over the Erewash Valley railway became a very serious problem. The building of a bridge over the line became an absolute necessity. The bridge was opened in 1939, and was built at a cost of £42,000.
The Osier Bed This was on the old sewage farm estate, which became the Grange Park.
The Pinfold The exact position of the old pinfold is not known, but in 1860 Mr S. J. Claye asked for and received permission to remove it to a site on the opposite side of the road. The site of this new pinfold was at the junction of Main Street and Oakley Road, on the North side of the Brown Brook before it is culverted under the road. A call for its removal in 1885 was considered, and by 1892 a proposal was made that it be sold. Mr F. R. Claye bought the site for 5s per yard, the area was stated to be 73 yards in size.
The Pingle Meaning a small enclosure. It is situated off Derby Road.
Poor's Close This was a long narrow close on the West side of Stanley Street.
Recreation Ground First opened in 1885. It was famous as a football ground when Long Eaton Rangers were in their full glory.
Red Hill This familiar landmark at Trent Lock forms the most westerly point of Thrumpton Hills. Some evidence of a Roman occupation has been found there. A Gypsum mine was also worked there for a time. The remains of a brick kiln also indicates that the bricks were made from Red Hill clay. The bricks were carried by boat.
The Rink A wooden skating rink situated in Orchard Street. It was first covered with canvass, but the wind kept blowing it off. A more substantial covering was provided. It was used by the Salvation Army as a barracks for some years, until the Citadel was built in New Street, in 1901.
Rossell's Lane This appears to be an old name for Huss's Lane. In March 1861 Mr Claye was allowed to put down rails across Rossell's Lane into Mrs. Elizabeth Bexton's gardens.
The Shoulder Of Mutton Close This was the name of the field where the fire station stands. At one time the old council stables and stores also stood Here. The name is suggested by the shape of the field.
The Stocks Some old pictures of Long Eaton Market Place depict the stocks as being situated there. There doesn't seem to be any other evidence to contradict this. Stocks were in common use in many villages, and it is not unlikely that the stocks did exist there at one time.
Tiger Street This became known as New Street, and it is mentioned in the annual report of the Medical Officer of Health for 1879.
The Tin Trunk This was the name given to the first theatre to be built in Long Eaton. Situated in Queen Street, it was built entirely of corrugated iron in 1897. It was later used as a motor body repair works.
Tithe Barn Lane Tithe Barn Lane was originally the lane leading from Main Street at the Co-operative Central Stores, to the Tithe Barn which it is said existed between the Grange Farm and Nottingham Road. This brick building was where Tithes were stores. With the coming of the railway and the building of the Long Eaton station, The spelling of Tythe Barn changed, and was gradually changed to Station Street and later Station Road.
Town Street Stream This stream ran from the region of the Market Place along the High Street and Main Street to the Brown Brook, near Claye's Wagon Works. It was called the Town Street Water Course, and was culverted in 1835 by the Parish.
Trent Lake This was on the West side of the Erewash Canal between Lock Lane and the Castle Donington railway. It was formed by the digging out of ballast to build the railway embankments. It covered an area of about 40 acres, and was very deep in places. Later, it was filled up by the railway company.
Trent Lock This is the gateway through which the Erewash Canal joins the River Trent. This still remains a popular resort for locals and visitors alike, with plenty of fishing, yachting and other water sports. The Trent Valley Sailing Club have their headquarters here.
Trent Station Footpath This private footpath led from Trent Station to Claye's Wagon Works on Main Street. Now no longer in existence.
The Turnpike Road In 1758-9, the road from Lenton through to Long Eaton and on to the Sawley Ferry was made a turnpike road. It was also the road from Sawley Ferry to Tamworth. The Lenton to Sawley portion was reclassified in 1871.
The Twitchell This well known footpath led from Main Street to Gibb Street before being widened into a proper thoroughfare and being named West Gate.
Wellesley College Described as a high class educational establishment, Wellesley College once stood near the Erewash Valley railway at the top of Midland Street, and was locally known as The Academy. The house, beautifully situated, was erected at a cost of several thousand pounds, and was specially adapted for scholastic purposes. The curriculum was broad and practical and included Latin, French and Natural History. It had a great reputation in its heyday, under the headships of Rev. Todd, Rev. Samuel Taylor and Mr Wm. Henry Lane who was the last headmaster of the college. It catered for 30-40 students, of which half were residents. In 1900, the railway company reverted its use back into a hostel.
Vicar's Row The row of cottages which backed onto the Twitchell. They were demolished at the same time the Twitchell was widened to form West Gate in 1911.
White's Lane Now called Oakleys Road. Earlier it was also known as Brook Lane. It was the road leading to and from White's Farm, which was situated just off the lane. It also provided a public footpath leading to Trent Lock.
Wilsthorpe Footpath It led from the Parish Church in the direction of Regent Street, then along the bottom of the cemetery and by the side of the Brown Brook along to Wilsthorpe Lane. This footpath closed in 1866.
Farmer's Pond This was a large ballast hole on the side of the Nottingham to Trent railway, near the bottom end of Recreation Street.
The Spring In the old days there was an open spring in the old vicarage wall on Derby Road opposite the end of Granville Avenue. From that spring a stream ran down the side of Derby Road, under the canal and continuing by Haycroft Close to the end of Oxford Street, where it entered a culvert.

Home > Welcome > Old Place Names
Search our site: